Oak Trees and Bourbon Street

I pray that I never take for granted the moments and days that I am able to see this beautiful country of ours. Every time I adventure into a new state, I feel as though it is a whole new world to me. I especially felt this way the past three days. 

I believe all too often we settle with everything that we are used to. Whether it be routine, work, school, or just regular 'ol life in general, we just repeat the process until it is something new. Usually I don't start traveling until late in the year but this year, we mixed it up- talk about routine. 

I can honestly say that experiencing spring in 2014 was unlike experiencing it before. I walked uneven sidewalk streets this evening, and as the sun was setting and I began to see the sky break through the cracks in the leaves and they fell to the ground, I knew that I had it made. 

My life isn't glamorous. I'm not rich and I'm not famous. To me my life is simple and for the first time in a long time, I'm okay with that. Simple is good with me. 

When I told people I was adventuring off to New Orleans, I received many "why in the world would you go there??" Or "stay away from Bourbon Street." But as I saw the city that was exactly who it is, my heart smiled because it stays true to who it is. 

I began my mornings with laughs, coffee, and amazing breakfast treats. I also discovered that if I really do want to open my own coffee shop one day, I have a lot to learn about coffee. Eek. 



But we continued through the French Quarter, Jefferson Square, old red-brick streets until you pretty much fell in love with every piece of architecture that a city could offer you. I didn't know much about Louisiana before this trip other than of course Katrina, Bourbon Street, and let's not forget Duck Dynasty, but today my heart is just full of warmth. 

I had the opportunity to visit one of the many plantations that Louisiana has to offer and I fell in love the moment my eyes saw the Oak Trees at Oak Alley. I can't tell you the last time I genuinely had my breath taken away until today. 



I gasped as I walked the quarter mile pathway that led to the Mississippi and to hear of the history just left me in awe. It is in moments like these where I know without any shadow of a doubt, that this is why I have a passion to travel. Don't get me wrong- I love the ocean and nothing makes me quite happier than a palm tree on a sunny, breezy day especially in New Orleans when you are least expecting to see one... But this makes up for the moments that we least expect. Those that catch us off guard and those moments of where sitting underneath of a 300 year old Oak Tree, you are simply reminded that you are exactly where you are supposed to be in life. I was reminded of Joshua 1:3 "wherever the sole of your foot shall tread upon, I have given it to you." Which then led me to remember as I walked broken side walks, I thought to myself of Isaiah and "I will go before you and make the crooked places straight."



 I smiled when I looked at the broken sidewalk and realized it was due to the tree growing and expanding it's roots. As the roots grew, it caused the surface to become broken and I was reminded of how when we grow and our roots are depended and expanded, that sometimes things need to break in order for what's next to come along and align with the path. 

Even while being in New Orleans and walking down Bourbon Street, I was reminded of these promises. They made my heart smile and the smell of the salt water off in the distance didn't hurt either. Thank you NOLA for a wonderful trip, spring will never be the same to me again.

 xo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deceit // Grace // Post Season Baseball

The Year of All Years: 2018

My Dear 32