T H U N D E R


I told myself eight years ago, I was never going to get another puppy. Ever.

Well, here we are and I survived the first year of rescuing a crazy-energetic-obnoxious-most loving pup, I could ever stand to meet. And that says a lot given my previous pup I raised.

Yes, this blog is about my dog. Yes, I rescued her one year ago, TODAY! WHOOHOO!

Rewind eight years- I was fresh out of my college. My roomie moved back home to Alabama to be with her family and it was my first official time, “out on my own-solo.” I called my mom and told her I was adopting an eight week old German Shepherd, Ellie Graham. My mom said I was crazy and that I didn't need a puppy. I told her, it was a dog or a gun, so we settled on the puppy. Unfortunately, Ellie's life was cut too soon and she went to heaven in 2013 due to an unknown illness. I never thought I could love something so much, as I loved Ellie. Yes, she is the reason I am naming my coffee shop, Ellie's Coffee. And yes, there is a new coffee shop in Midtown, Hank's Coffee, that's named after their beloved dog. #heartstrings. I mean, I raised Ellie from the time she was 8 weeks old until I moved to OKC. I couldn't bring her with me because of the moving situation at the time. We always had dogs growing up, but Ellie Graham was special. I never thought I could love a dog as much as I loved her, again. And then I met Thunder. Actually, her name was Milky Way. But, given the sports history in the house, our mutual team, Roz and I could agree on, was Thunder. We also call her Thunder Bear. Well I do at least because she loves to give bear hugs. I'm not joking. And she loves to be held. She thinks she is Michy's size- a mini dachshund. She is a boxer-pit mix, that weighs about 55lbs. Side note- when we rescued her, she was 30lbs and we were informed she was “full grown.” LIES I TELL YOU. LIES. She is twice the size and she is not a “terrier.” #eyeroll

I have this thing, where if I am having a really bad day or bad week, i'll go visit the puppies and love on them and get some puppy cuddles. I'm weird. I know this. But, there is nothing like the cuddle of a puppy and their puppy breath. Apparently, babies have their own scent and everyone loves newborn baby cuddles and their scent. Well, I just stick to puppies. ANYWHOO. So I talked Roz in to taking me to Pet Smart to see the puppies and that's when we rescued Thunder. The moment I picked her up, I knew she was special. She reminded me so much of Ellie Graham. I think I may have even cried. I told Roz at least 5 times we didn't need another dog. Especially because we were moving into a new house within 14 days. New house- new puppy- OH MY STARS. But, I just couldn’t say no. So here we are.

I think it is funny people say “I rescued this dog or that cat” when really, I almost feel like they rescue us. Thunder came into my life, when it was one of the hardest seasons of my entire life. Everything felt like it was falling apart- my career, building/buying a house, being involved in church, resenting moving to OKC, being more homesick than ever. You name it, and I felt it at that time in my life. Let me also say, I love my other pup, Michy Ann, Oh so so so much also. Each dog came at the right time. This just happens to be Thunder's story. But, Thunder reminded me of grace and forgiveness and another chance for something new. A new beginning if you might say.

People who don't have pets, I don't understand you. I just don't. Especially people who don't have dogs. I get it, there are some cool cats in the world. However, the majority of the ones I have come in contact with, seem to remind me of satan. Dogs are loyal. They are forgiving. They are kind. They are loving. There are always there, whether you want them to be or not. Especially when you are trying to seclude yourself to go pee or just shower for 5 minutes. They're there. And they will sit on the rug until you are finished and just stare. You have no personal space and your queen size bed becomes theirs and you sleep on the edge. No one else? Just me? Cool. But seriously. They're so so so special and so wonderful. I am often reminded of love, grace, and loyalty when I look at my pups. No matter how long I keep them in their crates, because I had to work a long shift and then go to a meeting, they're still so excited to see me. So excited in fact, that they pee- Thanks, Michy. But seriously.

There is just something about being involved in something from the beginning and knowing you are apart of its world and its life and growth. Whether this be a kid you babysit, a pup you raise, a church plant, a career- whatever it is, there is just so much pride and joy that comes alive on the inside of you over time. I feel this way about my pups, my career, the church plant I helped start, and simply just my journey and life here in Oklahoma the past 6 years.

Sometimes the bad days get the best of me. I want to throw in the towel and walk away and just move back home. Sometimes I want to let Thunder run wild when she destroys all the pillows at 2 am, when we get home from a 13 hour road trip. But, then I laugh and remind myself, laughter is the best medicine and they are just pillows.

Sometimes you have to keep swinging and keep trying no matter what life throws at you. A new car, a broken relationship, a new relationship, a puppy, a new house, losing a family member, career change, hurt by the church, graduate school- whatever life change it might be, be loyal. Be gracious. Be compassionate. Be loving. Be open and honest to whatever lies ahead. Be okay with it not being okay. Sometimes when things happen, we want to know why they happen and what purpose they serve. If I have learned anything in the past year, it is that, I don't always need to know why things happen. Even when they hurt so deep inside of me. Even when I am the only one who got hurt. I just need to be still. And I just need to be committed. I just need to be gracious. I need to be loyal. And I need to walk in love.

So, Thunder Bear, thank you for a wonderful year worth of memories. Thank you for giving me reasons to laugh and share your silly moments. Thank you for showing me what grace and discipline and love looks like. And people- if you ever want to have a baby, raise a puppy first. I'm not even joking. Or if you think you want kids, get a puppy first. :)

Happy “Gotcha” Day, Thunder Bear! xox





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deceit // Grace // Post Season Baseball

The Year of All Years: 2018

My Dear 32