Charlie Reese

Dear Charlie,

It's 10:06pm and Cinco De Mayo, 2015 is almost over and you're almost here in the world with us. I can't believe this day is finally here. I mean I can, because I have watched your mom be pregnant for the past nine months, but wow- it is actually happening. Not to mention, it's almost to midnight and if you continue to take your slow, sweet, precious time, you'll be a Seis de Mayo baby!


I am sitting outside of the door to your room and of course, I am already crying my eyes out. You'll come to learn that about me- I cry over everything. I think it is just what naturally makes me who I am. I have never been one to hide any type of emotion. I pray that if there is one thing I can help instill in you as you grow, it is always to show a smile no matter how you are feeling and to always embrace every emotion you experience a 100%.

I met your mom about 9 years ago when I was her youth leader in Ohio. I met your dad at the church where I met your mom and it's crazy to think that 5 years later, he talked you into moving to Oklahoma and help with our church. I remember when he proposed to her and then their wedding day. And then most importantly, I remember days where your mom and I would talk about you being born. Naturally, the moment we found out you were pregnant, I went to Target and oh my poor debit card. But what can I say? I don't have real nieces and nephews so of course, I am going to spoil you because you are my niece! :)

I want you to know that you are already so loved. You are so beautiful and you have such big paths to travel down. I want you to know that there will be many days ahead of you when you are not sure which path to take or you might feel insecure and alone. I want you to know first and foremost, that you are never alone, but that it is okay to feel those emotions because those emotions only remind us that God is so close, at all times. No matter what decisions you may make when you are 13 or 27 or 73, I promise to love you and support you as if you were my own.


As I sit outside the door to the room where you are being born, I am often reminded that sometimes the greatest gifts come in the smallest of packages. I can't wait to see the gifts and joy that you will bring not only to your parents, but to our church, our city, and most importantly the gifts and joy that you will bring to every person that stands within your presence.


You will come to learn that having “aunts and uncles” doesn't always mean that they have to be married into your family or your actual blood relatives; you get this awesome opportunity to have what we call, “FRAMILY.” Framily being the friends and people that are in your life that you choose to be family with. I want you to know that I choose your mom and I choose your dad and every single second of the day, I will choose you. I want you to know that you are chosen for a such a time as right now. A time where you will bring light and joy to such dark corners of the world. A time where you bring confidence and charm in only the way that you might be able to. That your grace and love will make people better simply because they were near you.

I love you, Charlie Reese.

xo


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deceit // Grace // Post Season Baseball

The Year of All Years: 2018

My Dear 32